Pages

Wednesday 19 June 2019

Foamiran orchids - a tutorial

Hi, DT Henriëtte here today sharing a tutorial on how to make this 
foamiran orchid branch.



I have a step-by-step photo tutorial on how I made this branche.

First I looked on the internet for a free orchid template.  
There are a lot of templates or example on Pinterest. I used this one. 
Before printing I did scale it down a bit.
With a wooden skewer I traced the cut out template pieces on white foamiran.
All pieces 5 times and then I cut them out.
For the 15 smaller leaves I used a simple leave template I drew myself..




With a baby wipe and oil pastels I added yellow colour to the centre part of the orchid.
(I think these parts of the flower are called the column and labellum).
Using a wood skewer and a ink pad I added the pink dots.
You can use other coloring media like chalks, inks or paint.




Then I held the foamiran pieces shortly against a medium hot iron.
While the pieces are still warm I pressed them on to a mold to get more texture.
You don't have to use a special orchids leave mold. Crafteezee has suitable molds 
available like this one or this one.
You shape the petals a little with your hands.




Using a heat gun I glued a single stamen on a piece of green wire.




I pricked a small hole in the centre piece and carefully pushed the wire through the hole.




Then I pricked a hole in the 2 leaves part, pushed the wire through and with a dot of hot glue  attached it to the first part.




This is repeated with the 3 leaves part.




The stem was to slender so I added a double folded piece of wire and taped it 
together using green florist tape.




I made 5 flowers repeating the above steps.



The branche also has 3 flower buds. 
I shape a cone using tin foil and glued it on a double folded wire.
Crafteezee has ready made buds in store.




I colored the leaves on the bottom part with green pastels. 
Then I glued on the 5 little leaves. Each leave overlapping the previous one a little bit.
I used flower tape for the stems.
Crafteezee also has wired stems available in the store.




Finally I made the branche.
I started with a long piece of taped wire and begin by adding the first flower bud, 
wrapping the tape around the two wires.
 After a little bit you add another flower bud, wrapping the tape 
around all the wires and so on.
The result is a beautiful orchid branche.




With just a sheet of white foamiran and a few other supplies you can make 
these lovely flowers which last for a long time.




Thanks for visiting the Crafteezee blog.

Hugs, Henriëtte.


8 comments:

  1. Beautiful and a great explanation. Thank you x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very pretty!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnifique tutoriel d'orchidée Phalaenopsis que j'adore.
    Merci pour vos posts toujours très instructifs.
    Qu'en est-il des résultats du challenge d'Avril ?
    Bises.


    161/5000
    Beautiful tutorial of orchid Phalaenopsis that I love.
    Thank you for your posts always very informative.
    What about the results of the April challenge?
    Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will pass it on about the April challenge.

      Delete
  4. Stunning orchids and really enjoyed your tutorial, Michelle x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle. I appreciate your comment.

      Delete